If you’re a hardcore developer, you might look for a hosting service provider who can supply the widest assortment of frameworks, languages and scripting options possible, right? But, then again, if you specialize in a software development process, you may look for a hosting provider who can offer that specialty on a server designed to uphold that development. For instance, Ruby on Rails folks will gravitate to hosts that provide that option, ASP.NET developers will want Windows servers.
To help you, as a developer, find the right hosting service for your passion(s), we searched for some of the most diverse and specialized providers among the bunch here at WHDb. What we came up with may surprise you, as some of the names are obscure, the companies may be small, and the prices are beyond belief as they’re so low. Of course, if you want to pull the dedicated server option, the prices listed below won’t hold water.
The sites below are arranged from most to least expensive. This pricing methodology does not dictate the quality or value of any of the Web hosts listed below.
- LayeredTechnologies: This company offers both Virtual and Dedicated infrastructures, with the ability for developers to experiment and experience spikes in traffic with little to no downtime, thanks to a grid hosting service. Their top-tier data centers are the cornerstones of their worldwide hosting capabilities, with unparalleled security, network availability, capacity, processing power, and operations management are all at your command. LayeredTech’s scalable infrastructure powers millions of sites (such as N-Tara, Tom Green, NeXplore, Sparq Training, and WordPress) and Internet-enabled applications including e-commerce, software as a service (SaaS), content distribution and more. With LayeredTechnologies, it’s a fair “ask and you probably will receive” environment. A current WHDB coupon provides developers with a dedicated server at $149.00 per month.
- AISO: Here’s a fairly mainstream Web host provider that offers Linux, Windows and FreeBSD on co-located, dedicated, green and reseller server options. AISO (Affordable Internet Services Online, Inc.) offers ASP, CGI, ColdFusion, Drupal, Perl, PHP, SSI and Zend, and offer Access, MySQL and SQL database support depending upon your server option. AISO also provides backup servers and power supplies and they run redundant monitoring servers that monitor each piece of equipment in the network. Their support is 24/7 through a variety of contact options. They also monitor server resources, so users can become more aware of their impact on the environment. So, note that if you plan to ramp your usage up ( such as CPU time, memory usage, and network resources), you may pay for an upgrade to a dedicated server option. Hosting programs can be purchased on a monthly, quarterly, semi-yearly or yearly billing cycle, and they start at $9.95 per month.
- NetFirms: This company offers Web hosting in a new integrated Windows/Linux platform known as Netfirms MultiPlatform. So, developers can rest assured that – no matter which language or scripting option they choose to develop apps – NetFirms can provide the format. They also supply 24/7 support. ASP, PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails and SSI are served up on clustered, dedicated, shared or secure SSL servers. Additionally, Netfirms has started a new “green” program called “Netfirms Green.” This philosophy includes reduction in every aspect of the business. A current low rate on their hosting services is $8.95 per month, billed in a one- or two-year plan (with a 30-day money-back guarantee).
- Apollo Hosting: Apollo’s “Total Solutions Hosting” plan provides you with all the tools any developer would need to create a powerful presence on the Internet. Look for a choice among Linux, Windows and Unix servers, along with ASP, CGI, ColdFusion, Perl, PHP, Ruby on Rails, SSI, WAP, WSDL, MySQL and SQL on hosting plans that include reseller, shared and SSL-secure servers. Four Tier 1 Backbone connections & custom-built servers designed for a 24×7 web serving environment ensure a fast, reliable 99.9% server uptime. Plus, this small company offers 24/7 support. They do not outsource, and they are proud members of the Better Business Bureau Online and have strategic alliances with industry leaders such as Microsoft, RedHat Linux, MIVA Small Business, SWSoft, Yahoo Search Marketing, Cisco & Genuity. Current hosting plans begin at $6.96 per month.
- Crucial Paradigm: This host is well worth the time to consider its offerings. All accounts are hosted on servers running RedHat Linux or FreeBSD and installed with a minimum of 1024MB of ram and 7200 RPM drives. Crucial Paradigm’s newest servers feature Dual Opteron 64Bit processors and Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz processors with 73GB 10K RPM Ultra 320 SCSI drives and up to 4GB of RAM. Plus, they provide WAP developers with something to sing about, along with Apache, CGI, Drupal, Perl, PHP, Ruby on Rails, SSI, WML Script and Zend. Their hosting solutions range from basic Web hosting to reseller hosting, virtual dedicated servers, dedicated servers, and “High Traffic Clusters.” Current hosting prices begin at $5.95 per month.
- Go Daddy: While Go Daddy has become a mainstream host for many users, many hardcore developers have become addicted to the possibilities offered by Go Daddy’s range of developmental opportunities. Some developers have gone so far as to develop get-arounds for some of Go Daddy’s limitations. Why Go Daddy? Because they offer everything from AJAX and ASP to Python and Ruby on Rails. Additionally, the developer can look at dedicated hosting rather than shared options if that developer wants some territory to experiment further. The plus for all Go Daddy clients is that this host provider is inexpensive and they offer features like a 99.9% network uptime commitment, 24/7 support, and free access to their exclusive Go Daddy Hosting Connection (their hottest hosting applications and utilities). Current lowest hosting rate is $4.99 per month.
- HostGator: Host Gator provides shared, reseller and dedicated hosting solutions, and it is one of the world’s top ten largest web hosting companies with more than 1,300,000 hosted domains. Their services are designed for both beginners and professionals. For the pros, HostGator offers CGI, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails, SSI, cron jobs, SSH, MySQL and SSL secure servers. Additionally, they use Linux, so Open Source fanatics can bask in the glory as they module and widget their way to freedom. Their reseller plans are attractive, even for developers, as HostGator allows resellers to keep 100% of the money collected. Every Web hosting plan at HostGator.com comes with a 99.9% uptime guarantee and 24/7 support. Current low hosting rate is $4.95 per month.
- MediaCatch: For those developers who want additional security and control not available from shared hosting, MediaCatch offers fully customized dedicated servers that are developed based on customers’ specific requirements. For similar power and control at a much lower cost, MediaCatch provides Virtual Private Servers (VPS) with root access, two dedicated IP addresses, and the ability to resell. They provide access to ASP, CGI, ColdFusion, Drupal, Perl, PHP, Ruby on Rails, SSI on Windows and Linux servers and a 99% uptime guarantee with fast connections and monthly backups. Support is 24/7 and a 30-day 100% money-back guarantee for all shared, reseller, and VPS plans. Current lowest cost on hosting is $3.95 (see coupon) or $39.95 for VPS.
- Hagen Hosting: If you want a secure environment to build AJAX apps, then take a look a Hagen Hosting. Outside of AJAX, they offer CGI, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby on Rails, XML, SSI and much more on secure SSL Linux dedicated servers. Hagen offers these services and a support-driven atmosphere through a public knowledge base which contains online technical information for common Web hosting support questions in addition to an online FAQ for answering basic questions on services offered. Customers may also submit technical support and other questions through the Personal Control Panel. It’s a community atmosphere here, something that many developers can appreciate. Basic hosting starts at $3.95 per month.
- M6.net: This one is for all you SOAP developers out there. But, don’t think that this is all that M6.net offers. You can find applications for ADO, AJAX, ASP, Perl, PHP, Python, SSI, VBScript, WAP, WML Script, WSDL, Zend. Access, MySQL and SQL on Windows Web hosting in four available plans plus a reseller package. Customers can mix and match any one or more of M6.net’s technologies, languages and scripts to their own specifications. M6 offers 24/7 phone support, toll-free in the United States, and email support also is available. The Network is Cisco Certified and servers are monitored 24/7/365. Current low price for a hosting plan with M6.net is $3.75 per month (save 20% with our coupon on this offer).